Thursday, February 3, 2011

Living Parable

He looked across the table and said, “That is a modern day parable illuminated by God’s truth.”

How do you view the things that happen to you? Do you see them as random acts of chance, or do you see the events in your life as something that God can use to bring good?

The challenge that this person gave me was to take something that had happened to me when I was 18 and see how God could use truth to bring life to what took place.

It was first year of Bible College. The opening week chapel speaker was someone that I knew growing up, and in a moment of transparency, I told him I was really nervous about the workload of bible college (I hated school in general, that’s why I took all shop courses). At the opening chapel of that first week, the same speaker used my transparency against me. He used it to try to motivate the students to work hard – be focused, but in trying to motivate, he embarrassed, shamed, and humiliated me in front of a few hundred people. Now, at 41, I am beginning to see the good that can come from that dreadful service.

Let me ask you: What incident in your life is your “living parable” that can be illuminated by God’s truth? Is it a relational break down? Job loss? Financial chaos? A hurtful word? If you are like me (and if you are… I’m sorry), we can all see those things; we can feel those moments as if it were yesterday. Know today that it’s possible that they can be used for good. Seek to find how that thing that has shaped you for so long no longer needs to hold you back, but can set you free. Be okay with not having all the answers, but allow something good to come from the ugly.

Just saying

Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment