Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Status

What is your status?

There used to be a very simple answer to that question: married or single. Today, status can mean all kinds of things, especially since Facebook has become so popular. We post our status for all to see and comment on. Your "friends" can even reply to your status to let you know what they think.

I was talking to someone the other day and he told me that he was on "permanent disability". He talked so matter-of-fact about it. I asked him, "is this what you believe about yourself?" He told me that this is what his status is, that the doctor put that on his file. As I sat there wondering about his status, I began to wonder if maybe he had just bought into it, and that that is all he could become, "permanently disabled".

In our culture we love to label things, we love to place a status on someone. What I see happening is that when we do this to ourselves and others we end up living up to that status. We end up putting limitations on ourselves because of "status".

The way I look at it - the status that matters the most is the status given to someone by God. See, when we become part of God's family, we get a new status.

The status is:
Forgiven
Loved
Cherished
New creation

I don't know about you, but I think I would prefer to live up to these labels. Especially the "new creation" one, man, I need that!!!

If you are looking at your life and you are living up to some other status, let me encourage you to consider these new ones. It might just be the status that helps move you forward in life.

Just sayin

No comments:

Post a Comment