Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Leave a Legacy

The conversation had been going around the room for about an hour with a group of 20 somethings. We had been discussing life, faith, friends and God. If I were to rank this night, it was almost a 10. We were almost done for the night but there was more question I wanted them to think about:

"What kind of legacy do you want to leave?" I was convinced this question would end the night with a bang. This is a group of very smart, passionate 20 somethings, and they will love the question. I was so wrong! Many of them had this blank look on their faces.

What emerged was that they really don't think about that question. They are more concerned with living in the moment, the now. As the facilitator of this group I began to have this panic moment (inside of course, can't let them see that). I had to pull another question out of the air, we had to end well.

It hit me. (Thank-you Jesus)

"Okay, how about this: If I took each of you and paired you up with a teenager, could you tell that student to follow your life?" The question was followed by good silence. Talk about looking in the mirror of your life. I wanted them to really wrestle with how they were living life, and this question got them thinking and talking again.

I don't know how you live life. I don't know who you follow. But I want to ask you this one thing: Are you living your life in a way that you could invite someone to follow your example?

If I were to take someone and pair them up with you, could you look at that person and say, "follow me, I will show you how to live life the way God intended us to live"?

Maybe we need to stop thinking about a legacy and start living in a way that others could follow. I don't know about you, but every once in a while I need to look in the mirror and see how I am living life.

Just Sayin!

No comments:

Post a Comment