Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dripping in Gratitude


This past July, my oldest son Dave and I spent a week in Nairobi. It was an amazing Father son trip with many different experiences that left an impression on both of us.

One of the experiences I had was preaching in the slums of Korogocho. This is one of the largest slums in Nairobi. When we arrived at the church, we learned that the church was built on a dump... literally, the ground was previously used as a dumping place. Between a few of the buildings we could look across the Nairobi river where the dump was still active. There were children searching for their daily meal... in the dump.

It's not everyday you get to see this type of thing firsthand.

I will never forget our visit to this church. I will never forget the smells. I will never forget the church experience - three hours long. There is one more thing that I will never forget; how thankful the Pastors were for what they had. They were dripping in gratitude to God for all that He had provided. We could hear it in their words. We could see it in their excitement as they showed us around.

What these men taught me was we can be thankful, no matter what our circumstances may be.

There is this verse in the Bible that tells us that we are to be thankful "in" all circumstances. One of the many things that I learned from my trip to Nairobi is that being thankful in all circumstances helps me rise above whatever my circumstances may be.

Whatever your circumstances are, find a way to be thankful, it can help you rise above it!

Just Sayin

No comments:

Post a Comment