Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Death and Living

Two nights ago, I went to see a play called "Tuesdays with Morrie". I was really excited to go and support my wife, who directed the play. It was the "good spouse" thing to do! After 21 years of marriage, I have learned that it's a good thing to show support for these types of things. As the play started, I was so excited for her and the cast. As I sat there, something happened, I started to reflect on my own life; it reached into me and shook me up.

If you know the story, it's about a guy who takes time to spend every Tuesday visiting an old professor who is dying of ALS. They spend time discussing a variety of subjects, such as love, forgiveness, how to treat others, meaning, hope, life, and yes, death.

Death. It's not something that we like to think about or talk about. We all know that it's a part of life, and yet we still do everything we can to avoid it. If you have ever bought anti-aging cream, you know what I'm talking about.

There was a line in the play that knocked the air out of me, kind of like a punch to the stomach that makes you gasp for air. Morrie looks at Mitch and he says, "(Death)'s not a dirty word. I am dying, and I can live with that. I've got news for you, Mitch, my friend... you are dying, too... just a lot slower."

Sitting there and hearing that line, I started to wonder how my life would change if I really lived as if was dying. How would it change how you live? Would you love more deeply? Forgive more freely? Mend family issues? Get together with your friends more often? Would you take a closer look at faith?

I am not sure if you are a person of faith or not, but Jesus tells us that if we really want to be about living, we must die to self. He explains that we must pick up our cross, deny ourselves, and follow him... then we will know what it means to live.

We all hope that we live a long, full life, but what if today was really our last day? I know that if it was my last day, I would make sure that I was letting those who are close to me know that I love them deeply. What would you do?

Just Sayin!

1 comment:

  1. Tuesday's with Morrie is a great book, and congrats to Deserie [sorry - can't recall how to spell her name] for directing it.

    ReplyDelete